1. The NHTCU was launched in April 2001
2. It targets serious crime with a hi-tech element
3. It’s an agency led by the National Crime Squad
4. It works closely with the UK technology industry
5. It recovered over 3 terabytes of evidence in 2001
What is the NHTCU?
Hi-tech crime has become a rapidly growing concern for the crime fighters in recent years. Computers and the internet provide great benefits to society, but knowledgable criminals can exploit these technological tools as an aid to commit crimes. To counteract this kind of crime the National Hi-Tech Crime Unit (NHTCU) was developed within the National Crime Squad.